Sunday, November 19, 2006

F-U Old Pro (But Not Really)

OK, as you might see from the previous post, I was very pumped up for the Griz-Cat game on Saturday. I knew where the UM Alumni Association sponsored meet up for my area was (San Leandro) but I thought that there would certainly be a closer, more accessible option available to me (OK, I'm lazy and don't own a car, so going to the East Bay is super inconvenient). With that mindset, I know there is a great sports bar in downtown PA, The Old Pro, where I catch all the Stanford and Cal games. It's a nice place: great food, big TVs, all that good stuff. BUT, being wary and taking into account the -AHEM- limited appeal to people not from/outside Montana I wasn't sure if they would even have the game on. Mind you, I've been to this place where they've had the most obscure conferences playing on a big screen (The North Central Conference? GO SIOUX!), but I called ahead and confirmed with the woman on the phone that they would have what is essentially the biggest game of the year for a Montana fan on. The woman answered with a curt "We'll have ALL the games on."

What a crock that turned out to be.

I rolled up to the OP at about 12, which was a good 10-15 minutes into the game. What was I met with? A sea of Red and Silver! Could it be that this was a HUGE Griz gathering? No. Not at all. Turns out there's this other college team that plays a pretty good game of football, maybe you've heard of them? Ohio State? Yeah, so some OSU alum rented out the whole friggin' bar for the OSU/Michigan game. So instead of seeing my beloved Grizzlies pound the Bobcats from ol' Missoula I instead watched the Buckeyes lay waste to the Wolverines.

I decided to make the best of the situation and went ahead and rooted for the Buckeyes since their colors are pretty similar to the Montana colors (scarlet and silver for USU versus maroon and silver for Montana). At the end of the day my adopted team had won (yay) and my real team did, too (YAY), so that was good twice over. I was a little disappointed in not being able to watch the Griz play, but so it goes. Luckliy, I have some awesome friends who joined in my celebrations, and we welcomed the night in the right mood.