Thursday, January 04, 2007

In The Land of Crazy ...

I'm all for the good things religion has to offer: compassion, humility, service to the disadvantaged, spiritual insight, et alia; but sometimes when I read things like this:

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia (AP) -- Evangelical broadcaster Pat Robertson said Tuesday that God has told him that a terrorist attack on the United States would cause a "mass killing" late in 2007.

I hang my head.

Its hard to even know where to begin. I'm all for faith, but when you feel the mysterious, omnipresent, omnipotent voice of g*d talking directly to you, that's a little off the wall. I'm just speaking for myself here, but I see those people every day walking down the street in San Francisco, and most of them are homeless and dirty with serious distinguishable mental disorders. You're telling me this guy is different because he's got a suit on and runs a business? Has anyone ever heard of a high-functional alcoholic? This guy could very well be the Patrick Bateman of religious nuts.

Let's also not forget that this type of talk is the same thing that the ubiquitous Islamic terrorist enemy spouts forth on various websites all across the web. The exception with them being that typically they are saying that their particular faction has been designated by Allah to rein death upon infidels.

Also, and the article points this out, these type of predictions can be terribly wrong. The track record is not so good, and always open to reinterpretation after the fact. Its easy to say, 'Well, I'm just a vessel, The Lord works in mysterious ways, and sometimes He changes his plans without submitting to me for approval first {chuckle}." I suppose sooth saying and future predictions are not an exact science.

UPDATE:: Letterman has a great clip about Mr. Robertson's conversation with The Almighty ...