Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Why The French Stink

OK, so I was browsing the 'net today and came across this article on the Reuters wire discussing a French court case. Being something of an ex-law dork, I like to read things like this.

It sounds like this is the case: Soup kitchen in France with far right leanings decides to serve soup made form pork broth. Left leaning freaks in France call this discrimination because Muslims and Jews are not allowed to eat pork. Left leaning fascists sue soup kitchen.

Something is decidedly wrong with this picture on so many levels, but I was very relieved to read that the French court threw out the case. I interpret this scenario as serious left wing fanaticism. Is this the case now in France? I have not been there in many years, and I was just a boy then, but it seems ridiculous to me that a soup kitchen would be shut down because they chose to serve soup that others cannot eat (due to a conscious choice they make in their lifestyle, i.e. their religion). Would those same lefty groups protest against the local Muslim shelter for not offering Christmas services? Probably not.

I am not one for Nazism, fascism or discrimination in any form. However, I do believe in people being able to make their own decisions, and thus being forced to live with the consequences (be they fortuitous or otherwise) of those decisions. Choose to be a Jew and keep Kosher, well, you don't get free soup from this particular charity. Is this soup a pretext for anti-Jew/Muslim groups? Perhaps. That's not cool in my book, but to force everyone to conform to one group's particular habits or customs is just as wrong. The most disturbing part to me was in the second paragraph of the story (emphasis mine):

Police banned the soup kitchen last month, arguing that the handouts discriminated against Jews and Muslims who do not eat pork on religious grounds.

Police banned the kitchen. Are you serious? They just rocked up in there and shut the place down without due process or review? That's just wrong. I'd be scared if I lived in Paris. Apparently the idea of to each his own is not alive in France.