Friday, February 23, 2007

Basic BART Etiquette

On a daily basis I use the Bay Area Rapid Transit system, otherwise known by the keen acronym BART. BART is much like any other urban mass transit system, basically your typical subway system. You've seen it before, and if you haven't you're probably not reading this blog anyway since you have no access to computers or any sort of post 1863 technology.

I don't know what it is about some people, but they just don't seem to understand what I consider to be basic, almost intuitive knowledge of how to get on and off of a subway car. It's a fairly simple process, and yet it seems to elude some.
  1. Train pulls into station, slows, and comes to a stop.
  2. Doors open.
  3. Passengers waiting on the platform part, allowing passengers in the subway car to exit.
  4. Platform passengers enter train.
  5. Door closes, train resumes course.

The first 2 steps are automatic, and the passengers have no input, so that's a no-brainer (literally -- unless you're a jumper, in which case you throw yourself in front of the subway car, in which case it's still a no-brainer, I guess).

It's steps 3 & 4 that foul people up, and it's these steps that, when not adhered to, annoy the shit out of me. I absolutely hate it when the passengers waiting on the platform bum rush me to get onto the train. I mean, come on, man. I know my stop is coming, so I'm standing at the door of the train when we arrive at step 2. You can see me through the glass from the platform, and yet you insist on trying to get into the train before I can exit. What are you in such a rush for? The train is not leaving without you, sir. IT JUST GOT THERE.

When this occurs I look defiantly at the offending platform 'sooners' (if you will) and mutter something to the effect of 'douchebag'. The basic rule is: let the people inside get out before you rush in, easy enough. I've also seen this sort of thing happen in elevators, which I believe are subject to much the same protocol. So please, next time you're at a subway, any subway, or waiting for the elevator, when those doors open -- for the love of g*d -- let the people inside get out before you rush to get in there. It's just courteous, and you'll still get to where you're going.